Chestnuts are amazing, they can be eaten raw, roasted, ground into flour, or mixed into pastries
Chestnuts are rich in vitamin C, which makes them unique among nuts. In fact, half a cup of raw chestnuts gives you 35 to 45 percent of your daily intake of vitamin C.
Chestnuts are also a good source of antioxidants.
Mushrooms have much nutritional value. most types of mushrooms, along with being really rich in flavors and texture are low-sodium and low-calorie. They are also packed with fiber, vitamins, and minerals such as potassium, copper, and B vitamins.
Whenever I go in the kitchen, whether it is for cooking or baking, I need to have my music with me. I thought it would be nice to share with you the exact song that describes my feeling towards each recipe. That way you can have a similar experience while cooking...
I love preparing this dish, and so I chose a song that I really like, Humility by the Gorillaz
Prep time: 5 min.
Cooking time: 15 min.
Baking time: 20 min.
Servings: 1 pie (8 slices)
- Prepare the rice paper shell:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F and line your bread pan with a cut-to-size baking paper, spray oil on the baking paper (essential to prevent the rice paper from sticking).
- Pour the milk to the wide container, add the tahini and mix well.
- Soak the rice paper for 30 seconds in the milk and place into the pan. Use the first rich paper to cover 2/3 of the pan's bottom, fold the edges of the rich paper on themselves to create a flat looking side.
- Soak the other rice paper and use to cover 2/3 of the pan's bottom from the other side. repeat the same process as in the last step. Both rice paper should create a rectangle shaped shell.
- Spray the oil on the top of the shell. Bake for 15-20 minutes, the shell should be golden and hard (It will soften with the filling so don't worry if it feels stiff).
- Set aside to cool a little.
- Remove the shell from the baking paper when it is cooled a little bit but not cold completely. Set aside to cool down completely on the counter after removing the paper.
- Prepare the filling:
- Heat the saucepan with the olive oil, add the onions and saute until transparent and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the crushed chestnut (chopped by a knife/ crushed with a fork), cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and the spices, cook on low for 10 more minutes.
- Taste and fix seasoning according to your preference.
- The chestnut mixture should be soft, the milk should mostly evaporate.
- Pour into the prepared rice paper shell.
- Serve freshly prepared. * (see notes)
* The crust is very hard when it comes out of the oven, don't worry the filling will soften it. For that reason, I recommend serving the dish as fresh as can be. If you want to prepare the dish in advance, make the crust and the filling but keep them separate until right before serving.
Check out these Passover Recipes:
Vegan Matzo Ball Soup
Vegan 'Gefilte Fish' for Passover Seder
Vegan Garlic Matzah Bruschetta for Passover Seder
Vegan Hard Boiled Eggs for Passover Seder
Vegan Caramel and Hazelnuts Tart (Gluten-Free)
Classic and Quick Charoset for Passover Seder
Matzah, Chocolate, and Strawberries Layered Cake
Classic Matzah Brei (Matzah Pancake) for Passover
Go ahead, share your version with me, take a picture and tag @pwildflour
Let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments section :)