Vegan, creamy soup served in a whole pumpkin
I refuse to believe the winter is almost over, I love sitting comfortably in my warm kitchen and eat a hot cozy bowl of soup while enjoying the view of rain or wind outside my window (Florida doesn't get more wintery than that unfortunately).
Take advantage of this cold weather to spoil yourself with this delicious, rich, and creamy pumpkin soup.
This one is served in a whole oven-roasted pumpkin, which makes it that much better:).
Whenever I go into the kitchen, whether it is for cooking or baking, I need to have my music with me. I thought it would be nice to share with you the exact song that describes my feeling towards each recipe. That way you can have a similar experience while cooking...
This is a recipe designed for winter, just like this cozy-feeling song Flowers in December by Mazzy Star
Prep time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 40 min.
Servings: 10 ppl
- Prepare the vegetables: Peel the onion and slice it. Peel the butternut pumpkin and cut into small cubes. Peel the celery, potatoes and carrots and cut them all into small cubes. Peel the garlic cloves and mince them.
- In a large pot, heat a little olive oil and add the sliced onion. Sauté for a few minutes, until the onion becomes transparent and fragrant.
- Add the garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables into the pot and stir well, covering all the vegetables with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Sear the vegetables for 4-5 minutes on medium heat while stirring them.
- Add the water, make sure all the vegetables are well covered.
- Cover the pot and boil. Add the spices and reduce the heater to low heat, leave the soup to cook for approx. 30 minutes.
Remove the lid and taste carefully. fix seasoning.
- Let the soup cool down from a boil before transferring into a heat resistance blender, or use a hand blender to smooth the soup. If the soup is a little too thick, you can add a small amount of water (or non-dairy milk, for a more creamy texture)
- Prepare the pumpkin bowl: Preheat the oven to 400 F
- Wash and clean the pumpkin well, cut the top of the pumpkin in a clean cut. Remove the pumpkin top, remove the seeds and clean the inside from all the fibers.
- Drizzle the whole pumpkin with olive oil, rub salt and pepper on the pumpkin.
- Roast the two pumpkin halves for 20-25 minutes. the top might be ready before the bottom half so check to make sure after 15-20 minutes.
- The pumpkin is ready when the edges is a little golden and the pumpkin is soft to the touch.
- Remove the pumpkin from the oven.
- Combine the hot soup with the pumpkin bowl right before serving.
- Decorate with the cream and the herbs and serve.
Hot pumpkin soup served in a whole roasted pumpkin
Let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments section :)