The best recipe for a vegan, yet creamy alfredo sauce.
You will not believe how easy it is to make! This recipe is my son's favorite pasta sauce, and he literally wants me to make this for him all the time. It is Nut-free, Soy-free, and Gluten-free, and you probably have everything you need already.
This the recipe's secret ingredient. What? what's the big secret? most sauces already have onions in them. Well... that is true, but- This recipe is based all on onions. The amazing thing about it is that it is so simple. The onion has a unique creamy texture when cooked and blended. The onion even gives a little bit of sweetness (similar to the one in heavy cream).
Plus, Onions are known to be very nutritious while having a low calorie count.
To keep the white color for the sauce, make sure to use either yellow or white onions (yellow preferred).
Whenever I go into the kitchen, whether it is for cooking or baking, I need to have my music with me. I thought it would be nice to share with you the exact song that describes my feeling towards each recipe. That way you can have a similar experience while cooking...
I feel like the this simple, yet delicious sauce is not something a lot of people are aware of, that makes me think of this lovely song. Secret Smile by Semisonic
Prep time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 20 min.
Servings: 6 ppl
Prepare the vegetables: Clean the onions and chop them into small pieces. Peel the garlic cloves and dice them.
- In the meantime prepare the pasta according to manufacturer and set aside. Mix the rested pasta with a little bit of olive oil to prevent it from sticking to itself.
- Heat a large pot on medium heat, and pour the olive oil in. Add the onions and sauté it until the onion becomes transparent and fragrant. (about 7 minutes).
- Add the chopped garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the non-dairy milk, and all of the spices.
- Keep cooking until the milk reaches to a boil, taste and fix seasoning if necessary.
- Transfer the milk and onions mixture into a blender, or use a hand blender to blend the sauce. Blend well and make sure there are no pieces left. Notice the sauce becoming creamier.
- Add the cornstarch and mix well. If there are any cornstarch lumps use the hand blender / blender to get rid of them.
- The sauce is still too thin at this point, transfer it back into the pot. Keep cooking the sauce on small heat while mixing until it reaches your desired texture. Make sure to keep mixing to prevent the bottom from burning.
- Turn off the heat and set aside.
Prepare the sautéed mushrooms: Clean the mushrooms with a damp towel, cut them into halves or thirds (depending on how big the mushroom is).
- Heat a frying pan with the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and Sauté them until they lose all their liquid. add the salt and pepper.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms to the prepared sauce.
- Pour your sauce over your pasta.
- Serve with vegan parmesan.
- Left over sauce can be freezed in a sealed container for future use.
- Add a cup of vegan mozzarella and you get a delicious Mac n' cheese.
Go ahead, share your version with me, take a picture and tag @pwildflour